Fall and smokey eye pretty much go hand in hand like peanut butter and jelly, but instead of using black, grey and other cool tone colors, I like to use different shades of brown and neutral colors on my lids because it fits my skin tone better, looks more natural and friendly, and gives a nice depth to my face. Today’s I’m keeping it extremely simple on the face, only applying some neutral warm eyeshadow all over the lids, then mixing with some darker browns for a more neutral smokey eye, and pair with a nice rose-y, brown-y nude lips using my favorite dark nude lip color. What’s your fall go to look?
This past weekend while at the Drink the District Cherry Blossom Beer and Wine Festival, I got a compliment from a stranger about my eye makeup while I had my sunglasses on! I was definitely shocked but am very flattered. Thank you, lovely stranger for stopping by and telling me that my eye makeup looks great, it meant a a lot to me!
I was very proud of my makeup for that day because on top of getting a nice compliment, after being out for the whole afternoon and most of the nights, my makeup still looks fresh and put together at the end of the night. It was the first time I used a primer and concealer (I forgot about foundation…) and it shows how a proper base will help your makeup stay put for a whole day! I can only imagine how much better doing it properly with foundation will do.
Today I’m recreating the look I did for this past weekend and going over the items I used. I’m excited I found something that works for me and I think this long lasting base and look will be my going out standard this spring!
- Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Protect Broad Spectrum SPF 30
I love how light weight this primer is, I don’t like any heavy on my face so something light weight with light coverage is perfect for me. I got this sample a while back but never used it till now because I don’t like to use foundation unless I’m going out.
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Concealer in Light
I got this shade right before I went out and stood in the sun for 5+ hours… now I think medium will match my current skin color better, oops.
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Tube – Original
My go to primer for eyeshadow. I also love the Lorac one and rotate between them.
- Lorac Pro Palette
Favorite eyeshadow palette of all time. Need I say more?
- NARS Virtual Domination Cheek Palette
Loving the variety of blush color in this palette. I also like how natural the contour/bronzing shade Laguna looks on my skin, it is definitely more of a bronzing color for me instead of contour.
- Anastasia Brow Wiz in Soft Brown
My go to brow pencil, I love how the nib is small enough you can create fake brow hair but at the same time if you are in a hurry you can also use it to fill in quickly. The color also works very well with me! But I might consider getting a light shade if I decide to get my hair color lighten this spring/summer.
- Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Dark Brown
The only liquid eye liner I’ve tried so far and I really like it. I like how easily it applies and it doesn’t budge at all for 24 hours. Stay all day indeed. I’m recently starting to get into black eyeliner so I might get the black one once I’m done with this one.
- Buxom Lash Mascara (not pictured)
Another sample sized item, I even forgot to put it in the pictures when I was setting this up because… I rarely use mascara that I completely forgot about this step. I don’t have much opinion on it as I’m not too picky when it comes to mascara as long as it doesn’t smudge and this one does the job!
As I slowly become more and more familiar with makeup, I decide to revisit this topic I saw on some blogs a while back. If you could have only 5 makeup items for the rest of your life, what would they be? I still don’t use much makeup on a day to day bases, but I think I’m now able to pick out 5 things. So here is my list:
1. Anastasia Brow Wiz – If I can only have one makeup item for the rest of my life, a brow pencil will be it. I’m very insecure about my eyebrows, or the lack thereof… So I usually never leave the house without filling them in. I’ve tried many different brow pencils (to be honest this is probably the makeup item I have the most experience in) and the Anastasia Brow Wiz stands out the most! I like the fact it’s a twist-up so you don’t have to worry about the up keeping, and I also like how the nib is tiny which makes it easy to create individual brow hair and make them look more natural than just filling in. I also love the fact that it comes with a spoolie so it’s great to take on the go.
2. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil – Eye liner definitely comes in second on my most used makeup item list. I really love them in pencil form, but have been having so many problem with the liner transferring to my upper lids throughout the day. I find that liquid liner works better with holding it’s place, but I just love how convenient eye pencils are. So for my pick I decided to go with the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye pencil because it is by far the least transferable pencil and I also love all the options you get (for me though I stick with the matte brown).
3. Clarins Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector – This is one of the first product I purchased because of blogging, I decided to gave this a try because I read about it on Vivianna Does Makeup, I only have one color currently and definitely plan on purchasing more. As I mentioned in my previous post, I absolutely love this product, it’s the perfect balance of great moisturizing and color!
4. NARS Virtual Domination Cheek Palette – I personally don’t use a lot of face product (i.e. foundation, primer, BB cream) because I really dislike the feeling of putting creamy/oily stuff on my face, it always make me feel like my face is extra greasy and cannot breath. I’m really lucky that I have no visible pores, not a lot of redness or unequal coloring, and relatively smooth skin (thanks mama Shyu), so when it comes to giving my face a more lively look, I opt for just using this cheek palette to add some colors and definition to it. It has 3 different blush, a bronzer and a highlighter, it’s the perfect one stop shop for your face.
5. Lorac Pro Palette – I’m very lucky that I found the eyeshadow of my dreams so early on in my makeup journey. I am seriously in love with the Lorac Pro Palette and its formula, it has the perfect mix of matte and shimmer that blends so well together, and the colors are so gorgeous on the eyelids. I am not a everyday eyeshadow gal, but I’m trying to be, and if I could only use one for the rest of my life, this would be it.
Ladies, the time of beautiful bold and deep(er) color lips is upon us! Fall is the season to break out your fun and rich lip colors, for me I’m excited to use some of the darker shades in my stash that I’ve been holding off during the summer. Here are 4 that I think will get a lot of use this season:
Chanel Rouge Allure in Fatale – One of the first lipsticks I ever purchased. The color is a bold, deep berry that seems really intense when you look at it on its own but is surprisingly subtle (for a bold color) and nice on the lips. The color is very beautiful and classy but more on the serious side, I would most likely pair it with work, date night or formal events.
Lorac Breakthrough Performance Lipsticks in Premiere – An impulse buy during the Lorac sale that I fell in love with, this dusty rose color is the perfect nude for fall! The formula is slightly darker than my natural lip color with a hint of brown, which matches my skin tone very well. This color makes the overall look of my face more mature and the deeper nude adds some warmth to my face which makes it perfect for the colder weather.
Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Sultry – This matte dusty pink is perfect for the days you want to add a little more color than just a nude to your lips but don’t want to go quite as far as a bold red or berry.
Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Standout – A bold red with a slight hint of brown. The color is very bright and out there so it is usually reserved for a day where I’m feeling a little more dressy or a night out with LBD, but during the fall I feel this would be a great color to pair with chunky knits and a scarf.
Recently I’ve been doing the same makeup routine, not that I have that many different ones but this one is my favorite combination out of all of them. To start, I just have to repeat myself again that I can’t get enough of the Lorac Pro Palette, it’s simply amazing. The colors are beautiful and pigmented, the formula is so smooth and buttery, you know the drill. I’m also loving my Urban Decay Naked Flushed, its a blush, bronzer and highlighter all in one, it gives you a healthy glow, apple cheeks and sun kissed skin with a simple stroke, and it’s especially noticeable in pictures.
I’ve been more into putting on makeup lately, I put in the effort to do my makeup before work in the morning and it makes me feel so much better and put together on the days I do. And I’m also getting a hold of the perfect amount of foundation to use on my face as well, after using different methods to apply I think using my fingers is my favorite. It creates the most natural looking skin for me, and I can control the amount I put on better this way. I’m really liking my everyday/natural look I’ve developed, but I can’t wait to play with some darker shades for the fall!
On my face today: Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eye Liner in dark brown// Urban Decay Naked Flushed in Strip// Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel in Chocolate// Estee Lauder Automatic Brow Pencil Duo in dark brown// Lorac Pro Palette
Using a new palette is always very nerve racking for me because this means I’m putting a dent on a flawless (unused) palette. Today I finally had the courage to break into the Lorac Pro Palette, the result? Fantastic! I love my Naked2 palette, but the Pro Palette’s creaminess is just on a whole other level. I can’t get over how pigmented the colors look on my eyes and how they blend together so beautifully. Because I like my eye makeup to be mostly matte with a hint of shimmer, the fact that it has 8 matte and 8 shimmer means I get to play with more color combinations. I already have so many ideas in mind I want to try I can barely contain my excitement!
On my face today: Lorac Pro Palette// Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eye Liner in dark brown// NARS Matt Multiple in Anguilla// Estee Lauder Automatic Brow Pencil Duo in dark brown// YSL Baby Doll Mascara// Lorac Breakthrough Performance Lipstick in Vanity// Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel in Chocolate
I’ve been on a lipstick binge lately, so when I saw these Lorac Breakthrough Performance Lipsticks on sale for $10 I immediately ordered myself 2, Vanity – a dusty rose, and Premiere – a soft rose. I wasn’t expecting much from them because I haven’t heard much about them at all, but when I received them and tried them on they’re surprisingly great!
The formula is so creamy and doesn’t dry the lips out, and the colors are very rich and beautiful. I really really love Vanity because the hint of brown makes it less kiddish and more professional, a mature version of my MLBB! The packaging is very interesting, I wasn’t sure how I feel about it at first but it has grown on me. The gun metal grey gives it an edgy, contemporary and futuristic look, it is very different from the majority of packaging out there which I kind of like.
Overall I’m pleasantly surprised by these lipsticks, breakthrough performance indeed. Whether you’re looking for a stable for everyday use or just want to add more varieties to your collection, these babies are definitely worth the investment!