I was first introduced to Diptyque candles by my friend Jess from Rose & Fig. At first I was kind of skeptical about a $60 candle and thought it was a little ridiculous, but after hearing her rave about them I ended up getting 2 as birthday gifts to myself and fell in love with them.
I recently finished the last bits of my Baies candle from my first purchase more than a year ago, and just when I was contemplating on if I should purchase another one right away or wait till the holiday I found out that Diptyque was on sale at Hautelook, so I immediately hopped online to purchase some. I ended up getting the 3 holiday scents they came out with last year – Hiver (winter), Epice (spice), and Resine (pine) – in minis, and a regular sized Jonquille (daffodil). It’s really tricky to buy candles online since you can only read about how they smell like instead of actually smelling them, but to my relief I love the scent of all 4 candles I got. They’re all smell amazing, even without burning.
The packaging for them are beautiful as always! The Jonquille is the standard Diptyque candle holder, clear glass with white decal and a great size that will come in handy as a holder for your makeup or brushes later on. And can we just take a moment to admire the gorgeous packaging for the minis? They are last year’s holiday edition so they have a different design compare to their standard candle – Colored glass with gold accent and white logo. Seriously, they are just too beautiful. I purposefully purchased the minis instead of the regular sized ones because I prefer the design of them more (buying things based on their packaging… very typical of me). They would be beautiful to put around the house, and since they’re small you won’t have to worry about the colors being too obtrusive. Once they’re done burning you can use them to hold your cotton buds, bobby pins, put a tea light in for some ambient lighting in the room or simply leave them as is. Regardless of where you put them, they would be a nice addition to any room! I’ve been keeping them in their boxes because I’m waiting till after I move to my new apartment to start burning them, but I cannot wait!
Overall I’m happy with this purchase, but not exactly thrilled about the quality of product I received. As you can see the surface of all candles are slanted, like they were melted and re-solidified at an angle. I assume this was either due to poor quality control or heat during transport, nonetheless it’s annoying. At least my purchase was for personal use and I can overlook the imperfections (once the event ends they can’t request more items from the vendor, therefore you cannot do an exchange if your order is damaged, only refund), but if I was purchasing these as gifts I don’t think I would be comfortable gifting them because they look like something you’d pick up from the clearance section because they were damaged… Just something to keep in mind when shopping on sites like this.
With the holiday, Black Friday and Cyber Monday around the corner, I’m sure most of you are already prepping your shopping list for the holiday. I know personally I like browsing way in advance and pick out what I want to get before all the holiday sales start, so as soon as the promotion deals hit the stores I can snatch the items I want right away without hesitation (quick, ruthless, and precise).
For those of you that are still looking for ideas and inspiration on what to get, here is a gift guide/wish list I’ve made with things I think would be great to get for others but also great to add to your own wish list!
- NARS Virtual Domination Cheek Palette – Perfect for any makeup lover or beginner in your life. This beautifully packaged palette contains 3 blush, 1 highlight and 1 bronzer. Great quality and great bank for your buck, a one stop shop for a perfect cheek look for the holiday!
- Jo Malone Fragrance – Fragrance is a very personal item to purchase for someone, as everyone has a different taste when it comes to scent. If you’re afraid the scent you picked out might not be the perfect fit for him/her (since the body chemistry is different for every person and the fragrance reacts to your chemistry differently), you can always ask for some samples and have them test it out first (though it won’t be a surprise anymore).
- Diptyque Candle – Another one of my favorites and is perfect for everyone and anyone. Diptyque candles are gorgeous and they have a variety of scent you can pick from, if you can’t decide which one will fit best for them you can always pick up the minis for your loved ones. The empty candle holder also can serve as a brush holder or mini vase for flowers!
- Fresh Sugar Cravings Kissing Trio – Cold weather usually means heater and chapped lips, pick up a set of these Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment as a gift set or stocking stuffers, you know they will thank you later.
- An oversize, super comfortable cardigan (like this one from Lou & Grey or this one from Madewell) – In the winter time what else is better than sitting by the fireplace drinking hot cocoa in your most comfortable cardigan? A nice oversize cardigan is not only a great lounge piece but can also be a very stylish layer to add to their everyday outfit.
- Crabtree & Evelyn hand cream – Again with the heat and dryness everyone has to endure in the winter time, a nice hand cream can cure it all. Like the lip treatment, these babies help keep your hands soft and smelling amazing.
- Buffalo check scarf – Another cozy item on the list, a nice scarf can make an outfit. Having a scarf that can both acts as a statement piece or a cozy layer is a must in the winter time. There are so many options out there but my favorites are the buffalo check ones because they reminds me of the cabin and vacation.
I finally cracked open my Diptyque Baies candle! I was very excited to start this one because a lot of bloggers claim this as their favorite. After opening it and lighting it I have to say, it is a beautiful scent but it’s a little too strong for my taste. I really love the subtle scent of Figuier because it’s very calming and relaxing, the Baies on the other hand is stronger, in your face and kind of wakes me up when I smelled it. Baies is a good day time scent where you want to be awake, are moving around and being more active, but a little too much for a night where you just want to rest, which is usually when I like to light a candle.
I enjoy both my Diptyque candles in different ways, tho they’re definitely on the expensive side and are more of a “once in a while splurge” item, they’re nice to have on the days where you just need a little pick me up. It’s really hard for me to find a scent that I’m comfortable with, so I’m glad I had a good experience with Diptyque on my first try.
What’s your favorite Diptyque scent and what do you think I should try next?
To celebrate the special two five, I finally gave in and purchased these delicious-smelling things one of my best friends Native Blonde keeps raving about. Thanks to her email and blog, I was presented with some good options on where to purchase. I decided to go with the BeautyBar deal – 20% off using code: AFF20BEAUTYBAR on the already on sale Figuier oval and candle set. And on top of the Figuier oval/candle set, I also got the Baies candle so I can reach $75 to received their free samples (No girl can pass on the change to get some awesome free stuff, right?).
I’ve smelled the Figuier before and really enjoyed how relaxing it is, so purchasing the set was a no brainer. I picked the Baies, one of their most popular scent because the description says scent has a bouquet of roses and black currant leaves, and I am a sucker for the smell of flowers. I’m very excited about it and am hoping it will impress me.
So far I’m only using the oval from the set because my selective OCD doesn’t like to have multiple scents in the apartment, and I want to be able to smell them individually without any distractions to see how I feel about them for future reference. Therefore I will have more updates on the Baies candle once the oval is done, which might take a while consider the oval is supposed to diffuse perfume for about 3 months (not that I’m complaining).