With the recent temperature and humidity change I’ve been liking the bare face look with a just little blush. I also finally found a lip pencil that will work and show up on my lips, and it’s the MAC Soar that everyone was raving about thanks to Kylie Jenner. It is the perfect shade for my slightly darker lip color and looks amazing on, at first I was afraid it would look a little fake but it actually turned out looking really natural on me. I’m very pleased with the color and the formula is also not very drying so it’s comfortable to apply all over the lips. Those of you who’re still debating if it’s worth purchasing… My answer is a definite yes!
This past weekend while at the Drink the District Cherry Blossom Beer and Wine Festival, I got a compliment from a stranger about my eye makeup while I had my sunglasses on! I was definitely shocked but am very flattered. Thank you, lovely stranger for stopping by and telling me that my eye makeup looks great, it meant a a lot to me!
I was very proud of my makeup for that day because on top of getting a nice compliment, after being out for the whole afternoon and most of the nights, my makeup still looks fresh and put together at the end of the night. It was the first time I used a primer and concealer (I forgot about foundation…) and it shows how a proper base will help your makeup stay put for a whole day! I can only imagine how much better doing it properly with foundation will do.
Today I’m recreating the look I did for this past weekend and going over the items I used. I’m excited I found something that works for me and I think this long lasting base and look will be my going out standard this spring!
- Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Protect Broad Spectrum SPF 30
I love how light weight this primer is, I don’t like any heavy on my face so something light weight with light coverage is perfect for me. I got this sample a while back but never used it till now because I don’t like to use foundation unless I’m going out.
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Concealer in Light
I got this shade right before I went out and stood in the sun for 5+ hours… now I think medium will match my current skin color better, oops.
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Tube – Original
My go to primer for eyeshadow. I also love the Lorac one and rotate between them.
- Lorac Pro Palette
Favorite eyeshadow palette of all time. Need I say more?
- NARS Virtual Domination Cheek Palette
Loving the variety of blush color in this palette. I also like how natural the contour/bronzing shade Laguna looks on my skin, it is definitely more of a bronzing color for me instead of contour.
- Anastasia Brow Wiz in Soft Brown
My go to brow pencil, I love how the nib is small enough you can create fake brow hair but at the same time if you are in a hurry you can also use it to fill in quickly. The color also works very well with me! But I might consider getting a light shade if I decide to get my hair color lighten this spring/summer.
- Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Dark Brown
The only liquid eye liner I’ve tried so far and I really like it. I like how easily it applies and it doesn’t budge at all for 24 hours. Stay all day indeed. I’m recently starting to get into black eyeliner so I might get the black one once I’m done with this one.
- Buxom Lash Mascara (not pictured)
Another sample sized item, I even forgot to put it in the pictures when I was setting this up because… I rarely use mascara that I completely forgot about this step. I don’t have much opinion on it as I’m not too picky when it comes to mascara as long as it doesn’t smudge and this one does the job!
Mixing up my daily makeup, today I’m forgoing my standard eyeliner and using some eye shadow instead. I’m loving the colors in this palette as it’s not the normal nude, but still looks natural enough on your eyes. It’s also nice to have an all in one palette for my face that includes a blush, a bronzer and a highlighter, no need to worry about packing multiple items when you’re on the go.
Eyeshadow and I weren’t friends before this year, mainly because I didn’t know how to apply it and I always thought I look weird with them on, but now that I’m slowly getting used to applying it, I find that eyeshadow works very well when you’re in a hurry. A swipe on the lids and using your fingers to blend if you’re on the go without having to worry about precision like when you’re using a liner.
I’m also turning to lipsticks more and more recently because my lips get so pale and dry in the winter which looks terrible. I’m currently loving the neutral colors and the formula of the Patisserie, and am considering investing in another MAC lipstick, I see a little haul in the near future…
On my face today: Tarte Rainforest After Dark Colored Clay Eye & Cheek Palette // Anastasia Brow Wiz in Soft Brown // MAC Lipstick in Patisserie
It’s been a while since I did my last On My Face Today post, and I thought it’s time to give you guys an update!
During the winter time, I get really lazy about putting on makeup in the morning because that extra 10 minutes you get under your blanket is just so worth it! So recently I’ve been keeping things very simple, necessities only.
As I slowly become more and more familiar with makeup, I decide to revisit this topic I saw on some blogs a while back. If you could have only 5 makeup items for the rest of your life, what would they be? I still don’t use much makeup on a day to day bases, but I think I’m now able to pick out 5 things. So here is my list:
1. Anastasia Brow Wiz – If I can only have one makeup item for the rest of my life, a brow pencil will be it. I’m very insecure about my eyebrows, or the lack thereof… So I usually never leave the house without filling them in. I’ve tried many different brow pencils (to be honest this is probably the makeup item I have the most experience in) and the Anastasia Brow Wiz stands out the most! I like the fact it’s a twist-up so you don’t have to worry about the up keeping, and I also like how the nib is tiny which makes it easy to create individual brow hair and make them look more natural than just filling in. I also love the fact that it comes with a spoolie so it’s great to take on the go.
2. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil – Eye liner definitely comes in second on my most used makeup item list. I really love them in pencil form, but have been having so many problem with the liner transferring to my upper lids throughout the day. I find that liquid liner works better with holding it’s place, but I just love how convenient eye pencils are. So for my pick I decided to go with the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye pencil because it is by far the least transferable pencil and I also love all the options you get (for me though I stick with the matte brown).
3. Clarins Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector – This is one of the first product I purchased because of blogging, I decided to gave this a try because I read about it on Vivianna Does Makeup, I only have one color currently and definitely plan on purchasing more. As I mentioned in my previous post, I absolutely love this product, it’s the perfect balance of great moisturizing and color!
4. NARS Virtual Domination Cheek Palette – I personally don’t use a lot of face product (i.e. foundation, primer, BB cream) because I really dislike the feeling of putting creamy/oily stuff on my face, it always make me feel like my face is extra greasy and cannot breath. I’m really lucky that I have no visible pores, not a lot of redness or unequal coloring, and relatively smooth skin (thanks mama Shyu), so when it comes to giving my face a more lively look, I opt for just using this cheek palette to add some colors and definition to it. It has 3 different blush, a bronzer and a highlighter, it’s the perfect one stop shop for your face.
5. Lorac Pro Palette – I’m very lucky that I found the eyeshadow of my dreams so early on in my makeup journey. I am seriously in love with the Lorac Pro Palette and its formula, it has the perfect mix of matte and shimmer that blends so well together, and the colors are so gorgeous on the eyelids. I am not a everyday eyeshadow gal, but I’m trying to be, and if I could only use one for the rest of my life, this would be it.
This past weekend was the Sephora VIB Holiday Shopping Event, and I have to admit I went a little crazy… But putting my purchases all together, most of them are items I needed/have been lacking, so I think I did okay, not a lot of splurging in my opinion, haha. I ordered them online and just received my package in the mail yesterday, so I’m a little behind on sharing my purchases, but here they are!
First up are the 2 face brushes – the Sephora Pro Angled Blush Brush #49 and the Sephora Pro Flawless Bronzer Brush #46. I got the Pro Airbrush #55 a while back and really love the quality of it, it’s very soft and picks up the right amount of product for me, so I decided to go ahead and grab 2 more that I need. The blush brush is long and thin, light weight and easy to handle so you can avoid a heavy hand of blush on your cheeks. The size of the bronzer brush is perfect for me, as it’s more chubby and shorter which makes it easier to grip and apply pressure when need be.
Next up are the eye brushes! Since I started learning how to apply eye shadows, I realized how important and how big of a difference a nice brush can make. I already have the Mac 217, but needed something small and flat to create tighter lines on the lower lids, so I picked up the Bobbi Brown Eye shadow Brush as I have a travel set and really liked the quality of their brushes. I also wanted to try out different brands since I’m still fairly new to this and want to figure out which brand I like the most, so I got the Hourglass Domed Shadow Brush – a small, densely packed brush perfect for buffing and blending the outer corners. And FYI, Hourglass brushes are PETA-friendly! Which is a super plus in my book.
Now onto the staples. I’m running low on my pencil eyeliner, but I really don’t like the glitter in my current one and also hate the fact that it transfer onto my eyelid throughout the day, so I picked up the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Demolition – a deep matte brown that is perfect for my everyday makeup. I’ve heard a lot of good things about this so hopefully it won’t disappoint. I also picked up the Anastasia Brow Wiz in Soft Brown, not that I’m running low on brow pencils as I have 2 in rotation right now, but they’re both kind of chubby at the tips which means I can only use them to fill in and can’t really create any texture to my brows. After seeing a lot of the reviews on the Brow Wiz and how you can literally draw in individual eyebrow hair with it, I was intrigued. It is a lot thinner than I’m used to, which is a good sign but also scary because I’m not used to it, I will have to do a few test run with it and decide how I feel about it.
Last but not least, the Tarte Limited-Edition Rainforest After Dark Colored Clay Eye & Cheek Palette – a palette that has a gorgeous packaging, with neutral and sultry orchid hue eye shadows and everything you need for your cheeks (bronzer/highlighter/blush) inside. This one is definitely more of a splurge as I don’t really NEED another eye shadow palette, but there’s also a cheek palette inside which I kind of need so that’s how I justified the purchase… And honestly at first this palette caught my eyes because of the packing (more on that later), but when I saw what’s inside, I knew I had to have it. The colors are simply beautiful, and the fact that it has everything for both eyes and cheeks makes it the perfect traveling palette to bring with you. This palette however, is a limited edition item and is now sold out on Sephora, the last time I check Macy’s still has them in stock, so if you want it better act quick!
What do you think of the items I picked up?